Mozilla Thunderbird is free to download from mozilla.com/thunderbird.
When configuring an email account for the first time, Thunderbird will often be able to do most of the configuration automatically. However, if your emails are hosted with Weblator you will need to manually configure your account as it will not be listed in Thunderbird's automatic configuration database.
To configure your new account:
- Navigate to Tools in Thunderbird and click on Accounts Settings
- Click on the Account Actions button
- Select Add Mail Account
- Click Continue
- Enter your name, email address, and password
- Click Configure manually...
- Make sure protocol is set to be IMAP
- Enter the details that have been provided to you
Username (this is the same as your email address)
Incoming server address: mail.mailator.com
Outgoing server address: mail.mailator.com
Incoming port: 993
Outgoing port: 465
- Once done, your settings should look like the below. Note the 'Username' inputs needs to match what you have in the 'Email address' input
- Click Re-test and you should get a green tick and a message saying "The following settings were found by probing the server".
If you do not see this message then check your settings against what has been provided to you and the image above.
- Click Done
We would recommend these settings once the account is set up.
This can be found in 'Tools > Account Settings > Composition & Addressing'